Last Updated on April 24, 2021 by Kim Labriola
there’s a lot of great reasons to own your own home:
- Tax breaks. You may be able to deduct your property taxes, and the interest you pay on your mortgage. This could bring down the amount of taxes owed each year. Be sure to check with your accountant or tax advisor.
- Equity. Each mortgage payment pays down your loan bit by bit. Money that goes toward rent just pays the landlord, and you’ll never see that money again. Don’t you think it’s better to put the money into something YOU own?
- Appreciation. Historically, median existing home sale prices have increased on average 6.5% from 1972 – 2005 according to the National Association of Realtors.
- Savings. By building equity in you home, you are saving money, because when you sell you will be able to take up to $250,000 ($500,000 per married couple) as a gain without owing federal income tax, as long as you’ve lived in the home for at least 2 out of the last 5 years. Be sure to check with your accountant for details.
- Predictability. Fixed mortgages payments don’t go up over the years (although insurance & property tax can rise). However, rent can increase at any time. You’ll never have to guess how much your mortgage payments will be, if you have a typical fixed rate mortgage.
- Freedom. Your home can be decorated and improved anyway you like (within the limits of CC&R, zoning, and deed restrictions, of course). Many landlords won’t even let you paint walls anything other than white, let alone other improvements. Also, why would you want to improve your landlords property on your dime?
- Stability. Staying in one location for a number of years gives you the chance to get to know your neighbors and form tighter, long-term community relationships.
Looking for a Home with a Guest House? There are many reasons to purchase a home with a guest house or guest quarters. Some like the …
You’ve decided to sell an inherited home – Part III So, you’ve made the decision… It looks like the best course of action would be to …
As we all know our pets and animals become a part of the family. It is important to an equestrian that their family member has …