A brief history of the Pueblo Hotel
This classic 1950s neon sign advertising a hotel pool for the former Pueblo Hotel is much beloved by Tucsonans.
The Pueblo Hotel started out as The Willard Hotel. It was constructed from 1902 – 1904, and was designed by Henry C. Trost, a well-known regional architect who lived in Tucson for four years. The building itself is a Mission Revival style located at 6th Avenue & 12th Street.
The name was changed to Pueblo Hotel in 1944 and operated until 1984. The sign was added in the 1950s.
The building underwent a major restoration from 1991-1993. The pool has since been filled in and the building was turned into law offices, although the occasional tourist comes in looking for a hotel room. Unfortunately for them, there is No Vacancy.
The sign was meticulously restored by Cook & Co. Signmakers in 2012.