Josias Joesler is arguably the most well-known Tucson architect. Originally from Switzerland and coming to Tucson after living in various cities across Europe and then California, Joesler collaborated with developer John Murphey and his wife Helen on over 400 residential and commercial projects in Tucson from 1927 until his death in 1956.
The data relating to real estate listings on this website comes in part from the Internet Data Exchange (IDX) program of Multiple Listing Service of Southern Arizona. IDX information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Listings provided by brokerages other than the listing brokerage here are identified with the MLSSAZ IDX Logo.
All Information Is Deemed Reliable But Is Not Guaranteed Accurate.
Listing information Copyright 2020 MLS of Southern Arizona. All Rights Reserved.
Please note, many Realtors describe homes as “Joesler-like”. This list may include homes not designed by Josias Joesler.
Some of the projects that Joesler is known for are the St. Philips in the Hills Episcopal Church (1936) at River and Campbell, the Broadway Village (1939) at Broadway and Country Club, The Ghost Ranch Lodge (1941) on Miracle Mile, St. Michael’s & All Angels Episcopal Church (1953) on Wilmot, and many homes in the Catalina Foothills Estates and Tucson Country Club Estates neighborhoods.
Joesler was known for designing homes in many different types of Revival styles, but using local materials to create a romantic version of what newcomers expected to see in the area. Often his buildings used mortar washed burnt adobe, stuccoed adobe, clay tile floors, clay tile roofs, brick chimney details, and wrought iron weather vanes.
This is the fourth in a series of blogs about important Tucson Architects. Next week will feature Nicholas Sakellar, FAIA.