La Cebadilla Estates neighborhood features
La Cebadilla Estates is a beautiful, rural, equestrian neighborhood of luxury homes with large lots and gorgeous views of the surrounding Rincon and Santa Catalina mountains on the northeast side of Tucson. La Cebadilla Estates is located east of Tanque Verde Road and Wentworth Road, on the way to Redington Pass, north of the Tanque Verde Wash.
Most homes are in the 2,000 to 4,000 square foot range, on lots that are at least 3 – 5 acres or more in size. The neighborhood features a private pond that is a refuge for wildlife and a quiet place to enjoy a picnic. Most of the homes in La Cebadilla Estates were built from the late 1970s to the early 1980s, with a few constructed in more recent years. The neighborhood is within the Tanque Verde School District.
Homes for sale in La Cebadilla Estates neighborhood
The data relating to real estate listings on this website comes in part from the Internet Data Exchange (IDX) program of Multiple Listing Service of Southern Arizona. IDX information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Listings provided by brokerages other than the listing brokerage here are identified with the MLSSAZ IDX Logo. All Information Is Deemed Reliable But Is Not Guaranteed Accurate. Listing information Copyright 2020 MLS of Southern Arizona. All Rights Reserved.
History of La Cebadilla Estates area
The area has an interesting history, some of which ties in with The Fort Lowell neighborhood which will be the subject of a future blog.
La Cebadilla is the Spanish word for a native wild barley. La Cebadilla Estates was named after the Rancho de la Cebadilla cattle ranch established by Eduardo Carrillo in the 1890s on land that was bought from his uncle. According to a grandson named Armando Carrillo the ranch once extended north beyond what is now Agua Caliente Park and Redington Pass.
Eduardo was the nephew of the wealthy land owner and merchant Leopoldo Carrillo who brought him to the territory in the 1870s. Prior to owning the ranch, Eduardo worked at the Steinfeld’s Department Store in Tucson and he also ran a store in Solomonville in Graham County East of Safford. Eduardo married Dolores Velasco on February 2, 1890. Dolores was part of the well known and influential Velasco family. Her father was a founding member of Alianza Hispanico-Americana in 1894, which provided insurance and social activities for Mexican Americans. Her father also owned and ran El Frontizo, a weekly Spanish newspaper, from 1878-1914.
The La Cebadilla ranch house was situated near the pond. During the depression the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) completed projects in the Tucson and Mt Lemmon area. They left empty buildings which became the main ranch house in the 1940s.
Dolores Carrillo sold the ranch in 1945 to Joe Hartsell. It changed hands a few times until it was sold to Raymond Bidegain who developed it into a luxury residential area in the 1970s.