Blenman-Elm Historic District
Popular neighborhood Blenman-Elm in midtown Tucson offers diverse architectural styles, history in a conveniently central area. Located in Tucson, just east of the University Medical Center, the “L” shaped neighborhood covers approximately one square mile and is bordered by Grant Road on the North, Speedway on the South, Country Club on the East and Campbell on the West. The district is composed of four subdivisions Olsen Addition (1903), Blenman Addition (1926), New Deal Acres (1934), and Blenman Annex (1939) and was designated to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. Blenman-Elm is serviced by these TUSD schools: Blenman Elementary, Doolen Middle, and Catalina High.
Development dates back to 1900 when developer Andrew Olsen built a home at the NE corner of Helen St. and Plumer Avenue. Growth was slow until a boom occurred in 1936. Peak growth was in 1955. By 1960 the area was mostly built out.
The neighborhood and the school are named after Charles Blenman, an English land speculator who came to Tucson from San Francisco in 1891. Blenman is credited with bringing affordable homes to Tucson. When it was initially developed it was in considered a suburb. Many of the smaller homes sold for only $4000 at the time. Now this neighborhood is popular due to its close proximity to the University of Arizona and UMC.
Twenty-one of the homes were built by Swiss born architect Josias Joesler. Historical Landmarks include; Arizona Inn (1930), Peter and Paul Catholic Church (1931) and Blenman Elementary School (1942).
Are you looking for a home to buy or sell in Blenman-Elm? Contact Nick at 520-975-8956 or Nick@RealTucson.com